Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Six-game losing streak ends

It's finally over.

After being winless for the past month, the Belles snapped a seven-game losing streak with an overtime victory at home this weekend.

The Belles (5-12) recovered from a shaky second half to defeat Tri-State University (1-17) in a 67-64 grudge match.

A 36-25 halftime lead by the Belles evaporated as Tri-State made an aggressive comeback to force the game into overtime.

In overtime, the Belles pulled out in front, led by the efforts of forward Emily Creachbaum.

Creachbaum, who received a nomination for MIAA player of the week, led the way for the Belles with 26 points and 10 rebounds on 11-of-20 shooting. In addition, she was a perfect 3-of-3 from 3-point range and had two blocks and three steals.

Before this game, the last victory for the Belles came Dec. 13 against Tri-State. In an outcome almost identical to Saturday's game, the Belles won 64-62 in overtime.

Mindy Tilford was the leading scorer for Tri-State, with 13 points on 5-of-13 shooting. Guard Amber Kruckeberg also contributed 12 points and 12 rebounds to help bring the game into overtime.

The Belles only had 12 turnovers, but trouble at the free throw line nearly cost them the game. After shooting 5-of-12 in a loss to Kalamazoo, the Belles shot only 8-of-15 from the line against Tri-State.

The overtime win gives the team a badly needed morale boost as it look ahead to its three upcoming games against Albion, Calvin and Hope. The three teams have a combined 19-5 record in the MIAA, and Calvin and Hope are tied for first in the conference.