Students gear up for race

Campaigning begins today for the Saint Mary's student body presidential and vice presidential election, which will occur next Tuesday.

Differing from the past three successive student body elections in which only one ticket ran, this year, there are three. The tickets are made up of Sarah Brown and Michelle Fitzgerald, Shay Jolly and Veronica Saavedra, and Sarah Catherine White and Mary Pauline Moran.

The six candidates running for office have each held a variety of leadership roles throughout their college careers, including representing Saint Mary's as Student Body Vice-President, Residence Hall Association President and Student Diversity Board President.

"I think we have three tickets this year because this year's student government has done a phenomenal job in making strides for our campus," said Nicole Haeberle, elections commissioner. "The rise in numbers is due to the spectacular efforts of our student government and making many students want to be involved."

In order to run, a student must be a rising junior or senior and in good academic and social standing. If she is interested in running, she must attend a meeting, abides by all campaign rules and are given $150 for campaign expenses.

"It is very exciting to have worked with each of the women running for election and to know that any of them would do a super job," said current student body president Elizabeth Jablonski-Diehl.

Campaigning will end at midnight on Jan. 26. Students will have the opportunity to vote in the primary election Jan. 27 through PRISM. If none of the tickets receive over 50 percent of the vote, a run-off election between the two tickets with the most votes will be held via PRISM on Jan. 29.

"The best part for me knowing that any of the women running for office are capable of developing programs even more imaginative than what we have been able to do," said Jablonski-Diehl.