Banned cab driver's license revoked by city

The city of South Bend has revoked the license of a Yellow Cab Company taxi driver who had already been banned from the Notre Dame campus due to allegations that he raped a female passenger.The Mishawaka cab driver, Piara Singh, 30, was banned from campus last week after allegations surfaced that he participated in the confinement and rape of a female passenger Feb. 8.The notice of license revocation, issued Thursday by the South Bend Department of Law, stated the Mishawaka Police Department was investigating an allegation that Singh and two other people in the Yellow Cab took a woman to an apartment to rape and confine her. The notice also stated that Singh drove the woman to various other locations to confine and molest her.Notre Dame issued a no trespassing order to Singh last week due to concern for student and employee safety, University spokesman Matt Storin said. The woman Singh is accused of raping is not a Notre Dame or Saint Mary's student.Singh faces charges of rape, criminal confinement and criminal deviate conduct. The notice stated, "It has been determined that your license should be revoked because you willfully violated several state statutes related to the license of a taxi cab by using a Yellow Cab to further a serious crime against a person."It also described Singh's conduct as a "breach of the peace and a menace to the health, safety and welfare of the public."Singh has until 4:30 p.m. today to submit a written request for a hearing to appeal the revocation.