Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Beer 101' a 'higher level' of education in alcohol

Along with the terrific success Legends has had in its first year of operation comes a unique seminar that discusses the 'lighter' aspects of the college student's beverage of choice. "Beer 101," being held at Legends this Tuesday from 8 to 10 p.m., is a PowerPoint presentation demonstrating how beer is brewed and fermented, what ingredients make up the contrasting styles of beer, and a sampling of seven to eight different kinds of beer so students can taste the differences for themselves. The seminar also rewards students with two free pints of their choice. This event is limited to students 21 or older."We're just trying to get people exposed to beer," says Jeff Crotty, the general manager of Legends. "We're trying to educate your palate just like your brain."I first discovered these differences working at a microbrewery. If you don't try something, you don't know it's there!""Beer 101" will be led by Jim Herton, the facilities organizer for Notre Dame Food Services, and students can hope to enjoy the demonstrations he makes between the standard domestic beer and international imports. "Beer 101" is also the first of a three-part series in alcohol education at Legends, with the management hoping to have "Wine 101" and "Alcohol Etiquette", the latter of which is aimed at how to interact with others at business-like processions with alcohol present. The event costs $20 per person.