Bengal Bouts resumes with first TKO of tournament

After an intense first day of fights, Bengal Bouts resumed preliminaries Thursday with the 160-pound weight division. The Bouts started with a match between Fisher junior Colin Kerrigan and Gregory Tomc, a freshman from Dillon Hall. The more experienced Kerrigan won easily in a unanimous decision.In the next fight, Chris "Pants" Calderone of Morrissey Hall defeated junior Chris "Speedy" Segura of Keenan Hall in a unanimous decision.Nathan Dyer of Siegfried Hall gained a quick win over Greg "The Pit Bull" Schaefer of Keough Hall after Schaefer suffered a shoulder injury in the first round.The first technical knockout of the night happened in a match between Steve "The Hellcat" Hoeplinger of Stanford Hall and senior Alex Roodhouse. Roodhouse won the match after Hoeplinger was knocked down in the second round.The next match was stopped early as sophomore Charlie Gough of Alumni Hall defeated freshman Zachary Jara of Zahm Hall with a technical knockout in the third round.A third consecutive fight was stopped early after sophomore Daniel Moriarty of Stanford Hall got knocked down twice a minute into the first round by junior Justin Alanis of O'Neill Hall.In the next match, sophomore Patrick Flaherty of Sorin Hall won in a unanimous decision over freshman Bryan Marek of Knott Hall.In a bloody last fight in the 160-pound division, senior Peter Doldin was defeated by senior William Phillip. The fight was stopped late into the second round. 165-pound division

The first of six fights in the 165-pound weight division opened with a match between sophomore Andrew "Party Boy" Breslin of Alumni Hall and senior Jesus Bravo. Bravo defeated Breslin in a split decision.In the second fight, freshman Parfait "Powerhouse" Mwez of Zahm Hall won in a split decision over freshman Preston Carter of Carroll Hall.Senior Ross "Pipe Cleaner Arms" Bartels defeated Billy "Killa Bee" Hederman in a unanimous decision in an emotionally charged fight.Two juniors from Keenan Hall faced off in the next fight. Chase Heaton emerged with the victory over Craig Thompson.Sophomore Tony Schlachter of Morrissey Hall won the next fight with a victory over sophomore Alex Borowiecki of Keough Hall in a split decision.In the final fight of the 165-pound division Daniel "Black Eye For The Straight Guy" Liem of Morrissey Hall gained the victory against junior Patrick McMorrow of O'Neill Hall in a unanimous decision.

Contact Steve Coyer at scoyer@nd.edu