Board discusses charity events

Few subjects were discussed in depth at Monday's abbreviated Board of Governance meeting.

Due to personal commitments of student body president Elizabeth Jablonski-Diehl, the meeting was held to only a few minutes.

The BOG discussed sponsoring the Prom Dress. Founders Nicole Watson and Emily Carey presented the plan to BOG.

The two intend to collect prom dresses to give to Wabash and Walkerton students who would not be able to attend end-of-year formal events without them.

"We just thought it would be a good starting place here at Saint Mary's to collect prom dresses," Carey said.

Watson and Carey got the idea for the project last semester through a class assignment. It was inspired in part by Regina Perkins of United Way, who will help collect and distribute gowns.

"They are asking for any size semi-formal and formal dresses for middle school and high school girls," Watson said.

The pair also requested $200 to fund advertisement and buy several new prom dresses to donate.

The drive was approved and will take place before prom season.

In other BOG news:

u The Saint Margaret's House Winterwalk in was a success in downtown South Bend Sunday, according to the Board. Over $600 was raised by Saint Mary's, along with a donation of cookies by the senior class.

u The Student Activities Board is holding auditions to find an opening act for "Last Comic Standing" winner Dat Phan. Auditions will take place Friday and the winning student will perform before Phan at March's Midnight Madness.

u This weekend will be Soph-omore Parent's Weekend. Parents will arrive Friday. Activities include free tours of the South Bend Chocolate Factory, an Academic Open House and a dinner and dance Saturday night at the Palais Royale.