-

-

Campus organizations sponsor blood drive

Kate Gales | Thursday, February 19, 2004

RecSports, in affiliation with the University Health Services, Irish Health and the South Bend Medical Foundation, will be sponsoring a blood drive today and tomorrow.

“Normally we fill up just about every time slot,” said Andrew Szwak, a RecSports supervisor. “Usually we even have people on a waiting list.”

Szwak said slots were about half full as of Tuesday afternoon. The event, which will run from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Rolf’s, has two time slots per 15-minute period.

“We provide the facilities, and the South Bend Medical Foundation provides nurses, along with Health Services,” he said.

Freshman Brigitte Sanchez participated in the last RecSports-sponsored blood drive.

“It was my first time [donating],” she said. “I was kind of scared … I always wondered what it would be like, if you would really help someone.”

After the drive, Sanchez received a card telling how her contribution was used.

“You don’t realize how much you can make a difference,” she said.

Szwak, who plans to give blood, said donors must undergo a two-month waiting period. Those who donated on or after Christmas are not eligible to participate. Potential donors are also asked a series of questions regarding their health and safety practices.

According to the American Red Cross website, few of those able to give blood actually donate to the supply of healthy blood necessary for nationwide emergencies, military casualties and bank use.

The campus-wide blood drive is taking place from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. today and tomorrow at Rolf’s. Call the RecSports information desk at 631-6100 to sign up for a time.