Candidates campaign for SMC class councils

The campaigning for class officers has begun at Saint Mary's.

Last night in Haggar Parlor the tickets for the classes of 2005, 2006 and 2007 debated, answering the student body's questions about their platforms.

This year, there are two tickets running for representation in the class of 2005 and class of 2007, and only one ticket running for the class of 2006. Although the numbers are slightly down from the average of two to three tickets per class, elections committee chairman Nicole Haeberle feels there is increased activism in student government at Saint Mary's.

"Overall there has been an increase in interest, and it has to do with how well student government has done,' Haeberle said. "It has really encouraged people to get involved."

The current 2007 class president, Claudia Toth, is up for re-election with running mates vice presidential candidate Kathleen Kindt, secretarial candidate Kristen Bogdanowicz and treasury candidate Deanna Shorsten. They have coined themselves "The Chics," and promise to increase class spirit through retreats and outings. They also plan to activate a new program, "Sophomore Sisters", in which a sophomore student will mentor a freshman and help them adjust to college life.

Aside from Toth being the current class president, Shorsten currently serves as class treasurer and Kindt is the class secretary.

"Because the three of us have served on student government before, we have past experience that we will combine with new ideas," Toth said.

Also running for class of 2007 officers are presidential candidate Susan McIlduff, vice presidential candidate Angela Litrell, secretarial candidate Amanda Litrell and treasury candidate Krista Fritz. Promoting the strength and unity of the class of 2007, this ticket promises to strengthen the ties with the South Bend community and increase officer availability. They would keep the class involved by e-mailing a monthly newsletter entitled the "Sophomore Soiree," and increase on-campus activities during the weekend.

"We feel we have to be strong to carry on the legacy of the class of 2007," McIlduff said.

The only ticket running for the class of 2006 is comprised of presidential candidate Danielle Lerner, vice presidential candidate Liz Palasky, secretarial candidate Nichole McCloud and treasury candidate Kellye Mitros.

"We hope to build on the success we've had this year while promoting strong relations for the class as a whole," Lerner said.

This ticket's goals include increasing student attendance and support of athletics, community service opportunities, and pairing juniors with senior mentors regarding graduate school, internship, and senior compositions.

Running for class of 2005 officers are presidential candidate Rachel Casciari, vice presidential candidate Tricia Michalak, secretarial candidate Julie Conaty and treasury candidate Megs Hanifin. They promise to enhance relationships between on-campus and off-campus seniors and fight for new student ideas while keeping old traditions.

"There are a lot of great things at SMC that can be expanded," Casciari said. "We have so many ideas of things to put into action that we can't even begin to tell you."

The other class of 2005 ticket is comprised of presidential candidate Jacqueline Cuisinier, vice presidential candidate Abby Ragan, secretarial candidate Beth Bennett and treasury candidate Jodie Emerick. Their goals include starting new traditions in the Senior Apartments, begin new events such as "Senior Service Saturdays" and "Senior Night at State" and have fun class apparel.

"I am confident in our belief that we have something great to offer to the class of 2005," Cuisinier said.

Students can vote for only the tickets running for their class, and current seniors are not eligible to vote. Voting takes place until 11:59 p.m. tonight on PRISM.