Irish to travel to Ontario for meet this weekend

Most members of the Notre Dame track and field team will get to spend this Valentine's Day weekend at home, but the rest will make the short bus ride across the border to Windsor, Ontario to compete in the Windsor Team Challenge. Mostly sprinters will be making the trip, as the track at the University of Windsor is a 200-meter "flat" track. "The track is very fast, and hopefully it will be beneficial to our runners," Piane said. Piane hopes to see more than a few team members improve their times and qualify for the Big East Championships if they haven't already. The Big East meet will take place next weekend, Feb. 21 and 22, in Syracuse, N.Y.Piane also reflected on last week's Meyo Invitational. The event was one of the largest in the country, as Notre Dame played host to athletes representing 63 different schools. The Meyo was very productive for the Irish; numerous Notre Dame competitors qualified for the conference meet. "The Meyo Invitational compared pretty favorably with both the Big East Meet and Nationals," Piane said. "There is stronger competition at the Meyo than at the Big East, and the atmosphere, especially during the mile run, was very intense last weekend." Junior Trevor McClain-Duer agreed with his coach."The Meyo was a great meet, as it enabled us to run against some different competition," he said. "We've been facing a lot of the same teams the whole year, and running against some new competition will help us as the year goes on." McClain-Duer will make the trip up to Windsor along with almost all of the sprinters. The junior from Olmstead Falls, Ohio, has already qualified for the conference meet in with times of 48.00 in the 400 meters and 1:03.29 in the 500 meters. The Irish men won their first Big East Conference title last year, while the women finished second to the University of Miami. According to McClain-Duer, the men are up to the challenge of winning again,"We want to repeat," he said.