Members debate changes

Student leaders from the Council of Representatives met Monday evening to discuss issues related to the proposed student union constitution and student body president Jeremy Lao's upcoming report to the University's Board of Trustees.

Leaders continued to debate the creation of a programming body to coordinate events on the campus and dorm levels.

Under the proposal discussed Monday, a Campus Programming Council would have representatives from each dorm, and would create campus-wide events, fulfilling a role similar to that of the current Student Union Board.

In addition, a Residential Programming Council would coordinate in-hall events, assuming the Hall Presidents Council's responsibilities in that area. An executive cabinet would oversee the work of both bodies.

SUB manager Charlie Ebersol said the new programming body would be more representative of the student body, as well as more efficient.

"Dorm involvement is what this is all about," Ebersol said. "It will be a coordinating body, so that calendars don't overlap."

Lao also addressed his upcoming report to the Board of Trustees. In the report, to be presented at Thursday's board meeting, Lao will ask the University's governing body to establish a programming endowment.

Proceeds from the endowment would be used to fund high-dollar concerts, prominent speakers and other big-ticket events. Lao said board members will see a rough sketch of the proposal, but he vowed to flesh out his plans over the remainder of the semester.

"The endowment proposal will be coming more solidly in May," Lao said. "We want something where we can guarantee approval."

Student body vice president Emily Chin said she and Lao needed more time to develop the plan.

"We only have one shot at this," she said. "We need to get it done right for the students."

In the meantime, class councils will have access to new program funding. Lao said Father Mark Poorman, vice president for student affairs, has reserved additional money to assist in programming events on the class level.

Lao encouraged class presidents to apply for the $20,000 in new funding. "You guys have an extra $5,000 each in your budget," Lao said.

In other COR news:

u Hall Presidents Council co-chair Sarah Keefer announced that the HPC would no longer accept funding appeals from student clubs.

She said frequent requests distracted the body from its mission of coordinating programming in residence halls. "We allocate money to dorms for dorm events, for the benefit of the residents," Keefer said.

She went on to say that HPC will continue to collaborate with clubs on staffing, promotion and other non-monetary matters.

u Senior class president Jazmin Garcia said the class of 2004 will sponsor voter registration initiatives for the remainder of the semester. Garcia said the class will coordinate with the College Republicans, College Democrats and other groups to register voters and supply absentee ballots.

"With the presidential elections coming up, we want to get as many people registered as we can," Garcia said.

u Off-campus president Sarah Blake said her council will sponsor an off-campus dinner this Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. at Boracho Burrito. The event will be free to off-campus residents.