Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Men compete for pageant title

Missed the Mr. ND Pageant?There will be another chance to get your fill of Notre Dame's finest at 2 p.m. on Saturday, when male Notre Dame students compete for the title of "Mr. Cool Water" here on campus.Legends and the magazine Sports Illustrated on Campus have designed a Cool Water cologne promotional event."[The idea] generated from Sports Illustrated on Campus," said Jonathan Jorissen, program coordinator at Legends. "Cool Water is a sponsor of Sports Illustrated on Campus, and the representatives here at Notre Dame heard about the pageant."The campus representatives submitted a proposal to be one of three schools hosting the event. The pageant is in affiliation with Cool Water's search for the new face of their cologne. Any male attending the event is eligible for the modeling contract, and the winning model will also win a date with a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model. According to Jorissen, each men's dorm was eligible for one entrant in the pageant, as well as one Mr. Off-Campus. The judges will be representatives from the women's residence halls, with Cheryl Turski serving as emcee. In addition to the title, the top three winners will receive cash prizes of $100, $50 and $25, respectively.The event will take place after the men's basketball game against Seton Hall on Saturday, scheduled for 12 noon at the JACC."We're anticipating a good turnout," Jorissen said. "The guys are invited to bring support groups ... part of the competition is the crowd response, so they are encouraged to bring as many people as possible.The event has not been heavily advertised, although all students on the Legends e-mail list received information on the competition. Posters in residence halls have also publicized the event.The timing of the event - after the men's basketball game - should also bring people to Legends, Jorissen said.