-

-

Monologues’ promote violence against women

Nicholas Kottenstette | Monday, February 9, 2004

I am a concerned father of three girls and EE graduate student. I am concerned that those who see “The Vagina Monologues” (TVM), are unaware that they are helping Planned Parenthood. By attending TVM they are providing free advertising for Eve Ensler’s text, TVM. We should note that proceeds of the sales of TVM text go directly to the V-Day foundation (VDF). One of the many controversial beneficiaries of these donations is Planned Parenthood (see back of TVM V-Day edition).Although VDF purports to end violence against women, they seem to be blind to the greatest victimizer of women, abortion. There is evidence that as many as 9 out of 10 abortion oriented women will choose to keep their babies when shown an ultrasound. Abortion clinics hide the truth as they fight to end life-informative ultrasounds, and succeed in California’s courts. As a result, roughly 20 million American women, who would have chosen life, suffer needlessly from the physical and emotional scars from their abortions. Was all this deceit and carnage due to Roe? No, she delivered her child for adoption, Mr. Justice Rehnquist eloquently noted. The Court’s statement of facts in this case makes clear, however, that the record in no way indicates the presence of such a plaintiff. What, then, has led us down a path to make a woman’s womb a target for death?The answer is clear, when Catholics answer this question. Why are people so eager to discount the teachings of our Pope and the magisterium? Those who profit from selling sin will go bankrupt.Planned parenthood has over $3.0 billion of tax payers dollars to lose. With abortions throughout the world totaling over 46 million annually, an industry conservatively stands to lose $30 billion if ultrasounds are provided to abortion-oriented women.I would like to propose an alternate event to rally the student body to end violence against women: Victory Day, this Feb. 14. “Victory of the blessed Virgin Mary over Violence Instilled on the Womb.”In order to aid Our Lady this day we can:1. Attend reconciliation (4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Crypt).2. Attend the 5 p.m. mass at the Basilica and pray for a woman who has been victimized by abortion.2. Recite the Rosary at the Grotto (6:45 p.m.).3. Participate in Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar during the start of the TVM (if any of our beloved priests could help us with this from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.).4. Send a donation to the Women’s Care Center.5. Support legislation to require abortion clinics to provide life-informative ultrasounds to their clients.Lastly, does the University of Notre Dame, or any Catholic University want its name affiliated with TVM?

Nicholas Kottenstettegraduate studentFeb. 7