Observer names 2004-2005 top editors

Meghanne Downes and Joe Hettler have been hired to oversee The Observer's editorial operations in 2004-05, incoming Editor in Chief Matt Lozar announced Sunday. Lozar also said that current business manager Lori Lewalski will be retained at her current position for the rest of the semester.Downes will serve as Managing Editor, while Hettler will serve as Assistant Managing Editor. They step into those roles on March 15.As Managing Editor, Downes will be responsible for assisting Lozar in supervising The Observer's editorial departments. She also plans to oversee the development and implementation of a training system for new writers. "I look forward to helping provide the leadership and the vision necessary to continue the tradition of excellence at The Observer," said Downes, who is the paper's current news editor.Hettler, who has worked as sports editor since Jan. 2003, will oversee the day-to-day operations of the paper and work on recruiting. "I'm excited to have been selected as Assistant Managing Editor for The Observer," Hettler said. "After working as Sports Editor, I feel prepared to handle the duties of Assistant Managing Editor."Downes, a Chicago native, is a junior from Walsh Hall. She is a double major in Political Science and Peace Studies in addition to a Journalism, Ethics and Democracy minor. Hettler, a junior marketing major, joined The Observer as a member of the Sports department in Fall 2001. He has covered interhall football, Saint Mary's basketball, baseball and women's basketball.Hettler is from North Canton, Ohio, and lives in Zahm Hall.