SMC celebrates heart month

In recognition of American Heart Month, Saint Mary's College Health and Wellness Services is sponsoring "Heart Truth for Women" activities this week to educate women about heart disease.One out of three American women dies of heart disease, making it the number one killer of women nationwide."This seemed like something new to do that interested the Saint Mary's community," Health and Wellness staff member Cathi DeCleene said. "Since heart disease is the number one killer of women, you can't start becoming aware about it too soon."The activities kick off today with a "Heart Healthy Breakfast and Conversation." Certified dietitian Anna Uhran-Waserski and Health and Wellness staff will appear at a heart-healthy breakfast with a discussion about preventing heart disease and recognizing risk factors.Every day this week, a "Daily Heart Walk" will be held in the Angela Athletic facility between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Students, faculty and staff are challenged to walk at least 30 minutes at least four out of five days. Those who meet these requirements will receive a free "My heart beats for Saint Mary's" T-shirt and are entered into Friday's "red" raffle.The week's events conclude on Friday with a "Heart Smart Lunch," where nutrition information will be posted next to each food station in Noble Family Dining Hall. Decleene said Uhran-Waserski worked with the dining to create a heart healthy menu.At 12:30 p.m., a "Wear Red Fashion Show" will take place. Red outfits donated from local businesses such as Marshall Fields, Casual Corner, Kohl's and Inspire Me will be modeled by students. During the show, the "red" raffle will occur.In addition to the week's activities, all month "Heartfelt Thanks" are available. For one dollar, Health and Wellness staff provides stationary with a heart fact, an envelope and postage that can be personalized to send a message of appreciation. Funds collected will be donated to "WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease.""Response has been good so far," DeCleene said. "A lot of people have sent someone a message of appreciation."