-

-

SMC holds Sophomore Parents Weekend

Emilie DesJardines | Friday, February 27, 2004

The Saint Mary’s campus will host 360 parents this weekend for Sophomore Parents Weekend.

The theme for this year’s event, “Like You Forever, Love You For Always,” was inspired by the children’s book with the same title.

“It appealed to us because the book is about the relationship between parents and children,” said Jessica Eaton, a Sophomore Parents Weekend committee member.

Although many of the scheduled activities are similar to those of Notre Dame’s Junior Parents Weekend, the Saint Mary’s event is somewhat smaller, confined mostly to Saturday. Saint Mary’s combines the Presidential Dinner with a dance and does not have a closing brunch on Sunday. However, Saint Mary’s students “also have Junior Mom’s Weekend and Senior Dad’s Weekend, which are both three-day events,” said Kristin Palombo, the committee’s chairwoman.

“I think this weekend will be fun,” Palombo said. “It’s a great way to involve families and an opportunity for parents to see what your life is like away from home.”

The three-member committee has been working hard since last fall to ensure a successful event. The activities will commence today, when students are encouraged to take their parents to Dalloway’s, an on-campus cafe, for dinner with the “Dalloway’s Dollars” they will receive.

Saturday morning will begin with an academic open house in the Noble Family Dining Hall where students will have the opportunity to introduce their parents to professors.

During the afternoon, the South Bend Chocolate Factory, which usually closes by 2 p.m., is staying open for tours.

“I think it will be fun,” Palombo said. “The assembly lines will be open, and there will be samples of chocolate.”

At 4:30 p.m., parents and their daughters can celebrate Mass in the Church of Loretto.

Saturday evening is the Dinner/Dance, held at the Palais Royale. It will start with a presidential welcome followed by a slideshow. The slides, arranged by Maureen Zimmer, “include pictures of life at Saint Mary’s and pictures with parents,” Zimmer said, “in order to show a little about their lives over the past two years and include their lives at home.”

The weekend will culminate with a night of dinner and dancing, an event about which Eaton said she is very enthusiastic.

“We picked out the menu, and I think it will be delicious,” she said. “I’m looking forward to spending time with my parents and letting them meet my friends.”