SMC night monitors feel secure

Saoud, Angela | Thursday, February 19, 2004

Despite rumors that Notre Dame’s night hall monitors may be released, their counterparts at Saint Mary’s said they feel comfortable in their positions.

Beverly Moyer, who has worked at the Regina Hall front desk for the past 15 years, said she feels her position holds significant weight at the College and she does not believe her employment is threatened.

“I feel comfortable in my position right now,” Moyer said. “It’s good to know that if something happens in the middle of the night and the girls need someone, I can be there and security can come quickly to help back me up.”

Moyer described her job as a desk worker with security precautions included.

“Yes, I file work orders, and I sort the mail,” she said. “But I also help maintain law and order. I make sure that boys aren’t coming in to spend the night and make them leave if they try to.”

Saint Mary’s Security Director Dave Chapman said there is not a high number of incidents during the nighttime hours.

“I feel our nightly security measures are sufficient,” Chapman said. “Our night monitors are well equipped to do their jobs.”

There are no plans for cutbacks in the Saint Mary’s night desk monitor staff at this time, Chapman said.

Saint Mary’s junior and Regina Hall resident Michelle Cooper said she likes having a nightly desk monitor.

“I think it makes me feel that, if I had a problem at night, there would be someone there to assist me,” Cooper said. “I feel safer knowing someone is there, watching the entrance and able to call for help if something arises.”

Cooper said although she understands financially why Notre Dame might want to eliminate the security monitor position, she feels they are an important part of campus life.

“I think by taking them away, you’re just asking for trouble,” said Cooper. “I have a feeling that there would be a lot more problems at night with rule-breaking than there currently are now.”

At this point, Moyer said she is not concerned.

“There has been no talk, as of yet, regarding cutbacks,” Moyer said. “I plan to just keep doing what I’ve always done.”