Belles drop four games over the past weekend

Dropping back-to-back doubleheaders wasn't exactly what the Belles had in mind coming off their 5-4 spring break trip to Florida. But that is exactly what they got over the weekend, losing a pair each to Rose-Hulman on Saturday and Saint Mary's of the Woods on Sunday. "We don't want to play catch up anymore. Once we begin to start playing aggressively from inning one, then we will be a much more successful team," coach Anna Welsh said.Traveling to Rose-Hulman after a Friday cancellation against Goshen, the Belles lost 4-1 in their first game and 4-3, in eight innings, in the second. Kate Sajewich lost the first game, giving up nine hits and striking out four. In the second game of the double header, Libby Wihelmy gave up nine hits and struck out four. Katrina Tebbe went 3-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored. On Sunday, Saint Mary's was defeated by Saint Mary's of the Woods 6-5 in the early game and 5-3 in the second game. Bridget Grall gave up six hits and walked none in the loss. Grall also went 2-for-4 at the plate, driving in two runs. In the Belles' final game of the weekend, Sajewich pitched again, giving up seven hits in five innings. Laura Heline doubled for the Belles and drove in two runs. Erin Sullivan went 2-for-3. Welsh attributed the losses to the team's failure to get anything going until late in the game."We had good comebacks over the weekend, however we waited until the later innings of the games to start hitting and playing defense," Welsh said. "In order to reach our goals on the season we are going to make adjustments to help us get prepared to have a better start in the first inning."The Belles were supposed to play Goshen on Thursday, but inclement weather postponed the game until Friday. Goshen then cancelled Friday due to a lack of players because of a team illness. Saint Mary's has one more tune-up game before league play begins on Saturday against Alma. The Belles travel to Purdue-North Central for a Wednesday afternoon contest.