Belles look to build off weekend

After two convincing victories in a home tournament over the weekend, Saint Mary's will go on the road to face MIAA opponent Alma College today.In their first match against Tri-State, Saint Mary's came out with a 7-0 sweep. In the championship match, Aquinas fell to the Belles by a score of 8-1 to give Saint Mary's the decisive victory. The Belles have won nine matches already this season and will look for their third straight MIAA victory against Alma. In a match last year against Alma, the Belles dominated and recorded a 9-0 sweep.Against Alma the Belles will continue to rely on the strong play of Kate Bowler, Kaitlin Cutler, Kristen Palombo, Jeannie Knish and Kris Spriggle.Over the weekend, the doubles team Cutler and Spriggle defeated Aquinas 8-3, bringing their overall record of the year to 9-1.In singles play, Cutler continued her success by nearly sweeping both of her singles matches and finished the weekend at 11-1 overall. In addition to her win in the doubles match against Aquinas, Bowler also won 6-0 in both sets while facing Tri-State in singles. The victory brings her singles record to 7-3 this season.Knish and Palombo played at Nos. 1 and 2 respectively for the team and both pulled out victories against Aquinas after long matches.Junior Lindsey Thelen returns as the top player for Alma this season. Thelen lost to Knish in both the regular season and the MIAA tournament.Saint Mary's will play at Alma today at 3 p.m. The Belles play their next home match on Friday.