-

-

Dorm elections modified

Katie Mounts | Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Recent discussion of Notre Dame’s student government indicates that the 2004-05 academic year will reflect significant changes on campus. The Hall Presidents’ Council requested that for this spring’s elections, each of the 27 dorms elects only one hall president, said Farley Hall co-president, Beth Duran. “It’s going to be awesome to have one face per dorm … I think its going to make things a lot more efficient,” she said. Under the current system, she stated, multiple presidents could be elected to serve either all year or for a single semester. Duran is one of four presidents representing Far-ley Hall this year. Zahm Hall had similar situations in recent elections. “Last year, Zahm elected three hall presidents and two were abroad in different semesters. One person stayed all year,” said rector Dan Parrish. Hall leaders seem highly supportive of the changes. Parrish stated that having one president will increase consistency and efficiency within student government.Siegfried co-president Adam Braun further described the changes. Each dorm is required to have four elected officers, he said, a president and vice-president who run together, a hall programmer and a senator. In past years, the president, vice-president and senator were required, but the hall programmers are new additions. The campus programmer will serve on the campus programming committee, a legislative body somewhat similar to the Student Union Board, he said.Multiple representatives, however, mentioned a waning interest from hall residents in running for these positions. Both Farley and Pasquerilla West had uncontested tickets for president and vice president of the dorms. Sister Carrine Etheridge, rectress of Farley, attributed part of the decline to the number of students who may be willing, but not eligible, to run Similarly, in Siegfried, no student ran for the campus programmer position. In order to stay with the “elected clause,” Braun explained, the vice-president from Siegfried will attend the meetings for campus programmers.Overall, though, leaders appear optimistic about the changes to government. Etheridge reinforced the sentiment that the new requirements for hall elections will help establish more continuity for both the HPC and within the dorm itself.