-

-

Group sponsors health fair to be held next week

Amanda Michaels | Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Graduate Student Union leaders encouraged participation in the upcoming Health and Wellness Fair at Tuesday’s meeting. Formerly Health-E Day, the event will be held on March 27 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Stepan Center. It is intended to promote good nutritional and physical habits among graduate students and their families, in addition to providing a forum for entertainment and socialization. A tentative schedule of events for the fair includes an Aikido demonstration, an Indiana University-South Bend dental clinic presentation on dental hygiene, a talk on eating disorders and diet fads, a seminar on stress management and relaxation training and a presentation by Eurogym. There is also a run around the Saint Mary’s and St. Joseph’s lakes at noon. Event funding has not been finalized, however, and changes to the program are possible.Entertainment for children of the graduate students will also be provided, and will include activities ranging from sack races to crafts. Publicity and procedures committee chair Alison Dekoschak emphasized the evolution of this year’s Health and Wellness Fair from last year’s Health-E Day.”[The Fair] is different from last year’s, so those who went last year can’t really use it to compare,” Dekoschak said. “We’ve tried to make a lot of improvements, and I think we’ve come up with something different and new.”A committee composed of GSU president Martiqua Post, vice presidents Belinda Byrne and Meg Garnett, health care committee chair John Young and publicity and procedures committee chair Alison Dekoschak have been planning the fair since February.In other GSU news: The group unanimously approved constitutional changes to the structure of the GSU committees for the second week in a row, confirming them as official. The changes will divide the quality of life committee into two separate orientation and quality of life committees, and divide responsibilities among the two social committee chairs into fall and summer/spring semesters. The stipend for the quality of life committee was also raised to $700 from the previous $500. The last day to submit applications to run for GSU president and vice president is Monday, and there is at least one person running already Post said. Electronic elections will be held March 29. A $300 subsidy on next year’s health insurance was approved for those graduate students on the MegaLife plan who receive a stipend from the University, said Young. The subsidy will increase to by $50 increments for two years after that. Quality of life committee chair Crystal Blount encouraged graduate students to attend an open meeting regarding the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools critique of Notre Dame’s assessment process. The meeting will be held Tuesday at 5 p.m. in McKenna Hall, and will provide students with a venue to give the NCACS feedback on their opinion of the quality of teaching and learning at the University.