Group updated on projects, successes

Campus Life Council members received updates on various ongoing projects and the success of alcohol awareness week during Monday's short meeting.

With only a few meetings remaining in the semester, Jeremy Lao, student body president and CLC chairman, announced that the council would focus most of its energy on laying the foundation for a successful argument to establish a mandatory, semester long social awareness class that teaches students about racial, cultural and religious diversity. The class would also address other topics.

"We decided we're going to spend the six weeks [remaining in the semester] to come up with ... a plan of action so the next group of CLC members will take this on as a priority next year," Lao said. "Our 'pie in the sky' goal is to have a course that is a semester long and [that] each student will have to take."

Lao also informed members about progress being made on the group's efforts to follow up on concerns regarding the quality of the campus' appearance.

Lao sent Father Mark Poorman, vice president of Student Affairs, a letter voicing CLC's concerns about campus appearance prior to spring break. Poorman followed up, promising to contact James Lyphout, vice president for Business Operations whose department oversees University grounds keeping.

Lao then praised the success of last week's Alcohol Awareness Week, the first such event sponsored by student government. The week featured T-shirt and cup give-a-ways and a drunk driving simulator.

"I would consider it a success considering it [was] the first year," Lao said. "We hope it will be built on for next year."

Brother Jerome Meyer, Knott Hall rector and CLC member, commented on the feedback he received from the dorms.

"It had good reaction in the halls," he said.