Growing numbers of women in engineering

Observer Viewpoint | Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The article on women in engineering published on March 29 wonderfully conveyed many of the positive things the College of Engineering is doing to increase our numbers of women students and faculty.

Drawing on perhaps an outdated source, the article indicated that the College has only five female faculty when, in fact, we currently have 10 female faculty in the three departments mentioned. Moreover, we will add at least two female faculty this fall in our other two departments, one in electrical engineering and a senior female faculty member in aerospace and mechanical engineering who will leave a chaired position at Cal-Berkeley to pursue her research interests here. Several other offers have also been extended to outstanding female candidates, and we hope to continue to increase the proportion of women on our faculty.

I am proud of the leadership and initiative shown by our dean, Frank Incropera, and by every department in the College of Engineering on the issue of hiring female faculty. We are now at the national average for female engineering faculty members (around 10 percent) and we continue to work hard to bring more women into our ranks.

Cathy Pieronek

Women’s Engineering Program

March 29