-

-

Irish take Pride, top Hofstra by 8 goals

Pat Leonard | Thursday, March 25, 2004

The problem was obvious. The Irish gave up early goals in recent games and could not erase the deficits.

The solution was simple – score the first seven goals of the next game.

Brian Giordano tallied five goals and Brian Hubschmann added four more and an assist as No. 15 Notre Dame (2-3) jumped on top of No. 13 Hofstra (3-3) early and often, winning 19-11 in its final non-conference game of the season at the Loftus Sports Center Wednesday.

The win moves the Irish to 2-1 on its home field and snaps the Pride’s five-game winning streak over Notre Dame.

The Irish rank No. 8 in the nation in scoring with an average of 12 goals per game, though in recent games an explosive offense has not meant a victory.

“One of the biggest things about being an offensive team is it’s a lot tougher to play from behind,” Irish coach Kevin Corrigan said. “The team can hold the ball and slow the game down. But we played hard tonight. We played hard enough to win and as hard as we need to play to be a top 10 team.”

Giordano’s fifth goal with 5:30 remaining in the game put him one goal short of tying the record for most goals scored in an Irish home game, a record held by three different players in Notre Dame history. The most recent player to score six goals at home was Jon Harvey in a 2000 game versus Villanova.

The Irish led 11-5 at halftime due to three first half goals from the junior Giordano and a goal and an assist from preseason All-American Pat Walsh. The Pride were down 14-8 at the end of the third quarter and traded goals with the Irish at the beginning of the final period, but four consecutive goals – two from Giordano and two from Hubschmann – put the game away.

Dan Berger added two goals and an assist, and a slew of Irish players tallied a single goal. Hubschmann, midfielder Steve Clagett, Giordano, midfielder Matt Ryan and senior defenseman Mickey Blum put the Irish up 7-0 in the first quarter, and the team never looked back.

“I think we’re learning it takes more than ability to win games,” Corrigan said.