Prioritizing law-enforcing efforts

This letter is meant to address the St. Patrick's Day incident that occurred at the College Park apartment complex on Wednesday afternoon. We are all seniors at Notre Dame and reside in the complex. Our concerns are related to the accuracy of the coverage and the portrayal of Notre Dame students.We have complete respect for the work of the Police Department, and understand that their presence was necessary due to the unfortunate incident. However, we feel that the actions certain officers took were unwarranted and irresponsible. The story that was reported in the newspaper, and other news networks did not attempt to uncover the full story, therefore portraying the entire incident as a raucous and unlawful crowd.Two of our friends were arrested, without charge, and held in the backseat of a police car for two hours. Upon their release, they were told that they were "interfering with emergency crews" - even though the crews had already attended to the injured student on the other side of the complex. Further, officers told them next time to "not make such a spectacle," when the only spectacle were the unwarranted arrests. In truth, officers were looking to unduly exert their authority over students. Their main concern involves drinking among Notre Dame students. At one time there were over 10 police cars at the complex to break up parties; where were they (and the news coverage) when 12 apartments were broken into over the holidays? It seems that the Police Departments need to reconsider their priorities.

Patrick MalloyMichael Lane Kevin Rooneyseniorsoff-campusMarch 18