Student remains in hospital after fall

The Notre Dame student who fell from a second-floor balcony during a St. Patrick's Day party at the College Park apartment complex remains hospitalized, and six students who were arrested during the party have been released from jail on bonds ranging from $150 to $250.A spokesperson at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center said Mike Seiler, a Notre Dame senior and College Park resident, remains in stable condition at the hospital, where he was transported by ambulance Wednesday after the fall. St. Joseph County Police Spokesperson Jaimee Thirion said six students were arrested during the party and police detained two more students who did not cooperate with officers. Police released both students without arresting them, but sent a report on one student to the prosecutor's office, who will determine whether or not to file charges.Keough freshman Michael Burke, Keough sophomore David George, Knott junior Peter Mahoney and Breen-Phillips junior Tiffany Muller were all charged with minor in consumption and released from St. Joseph County Jail on a $250 bond. Off-campus seniors Betsy Laydon and Katherine Murphy were charged with public intoxication and were released from jail on a $150 bond.St. Joseph County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Ken Cotter said that minor in consumption and public intoxication are Class B misdemeanors, carrying a range of punishments if convicted, including a fine of up to $1,000 and zero to 180 days in jail. Cotter said that probation is also an option, depending on the circumstances."[It] can be anything the court believes is appropriate - community service or counseling, especially for alcohol violations," Cotter said.Cotter said the fact that the students were placed in jail as opposed to being issued a citation should not affect sentencing, because it is up to the discretion of the police officer when a misdemeanor crime occurs whether he will issue the citation or place the person under arrest.The bond, minus a 15 percent processing fee, would be returned if students were found not guilty. Otherwise, it will be applied to court costs, which Cotter said are usually more than the amount of the bond.LouAnn Susan, property manager for Paramount Management, the company that owns College Park, said Paramount likely would not take action against tenants as a result of the party."We are just hoping everything is okay with the gentleman that got hurt," Susan said. "Hopefully everyone learned a lesson."