Un-jinxing spring

Saoud, Angela | Wednesday, March 24, 2004

The vase of wilting yellow daffodils I received last week is still sitting on my desk. The flowers are way past their prime and should have been thrown out over the weekend, yet I continue to water them daily, hoping for a miraculous revival. I have asked myself at least five times a day why I have yet to throw away the drooping petals, but I can only justify it to myself in one way: I refuse to give up on spring weather.With the memories of my Daytona Beach spring break growing more distant each day, I am becoming desperate for any sign of spring. In Daytona, it was 80 degrees the day before we left to come home. As my roommates and I relaxed on the pool deck with our CD players, suntan lotion and endless amounts of reading material, I complained about how warm it was. I think the words “too hot,” even came out of my mouth. Now I’m convinced – I jinxed spring. Yesterday, the sun came out in the afternoon, and the temperature almost reached 60 degrees. Sixty degrees, and I was ready to pack away my winter coat until next year. But this is South Bend. I wouldn’t want to be too presumptuous. Now that midterms are over and finals loom in the not-at-all near future, the semester seems to be coming to a lull, a lull that spring could certainly perk up. We are at the point between spring break and Easter break where nothing much happens. The end of the semester is too far ahead to see the light looming at the end of the tunnel, and I think it has spring at the end of the tunnel with it.The suns’ few cameo appearances have not had a lasting impact on the weather. Evidence of this could be seen over the weekend with the snow flurries and insane amount of wind that gusted through our campuses. Mother Nature may have a great sense of humor, but I think I am starting to lose mine. I miss walking across ground that is not frozen solid. I miss being able to go outside for more than five minutes at a time before my nose freezes and my ears turn red. And mostly I miss the warm air greeting me on my trek across campus. So, this is my feeble attempt to un-jinx the warm spring weather that I previously wished so foolishly away on spring break. Mother Nature, I am sorry, and I want my spring back. According to the seven-day forecast, we are looking at the next seven days uninterrupted in the 60’s and 70’s. I wholeheartedly hope the temperature makes it, because I am in desperate need of spring, sun and warm weather. And these daffodils – they need to go.

The views expressed in the Inside Column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer. Contact Angela Saoud at saou0303@saintmarys.edu.