WHW names Snow 'woman of the year'

The second annual Women Honoring Women dinner, held in Stapleton Lounge at Saint Mary's College Wednesday, announced chemistry professor Joanne Snow as "woman of the year."

Fourteen women were nominated to receive the 2004 Women Honoring Women award. Nomination forms were completed by members of the student body who responded to a letter requesting nominations of women meeting the Women Honoring Women Award description, according to Sarah Brown, student body vice president.

"The original fourteen nominations were carefully reviewed by the Women Honoring Women planning committee and three [contenders] were chosen to be presented to the Student Academic Council as this year's nominees," Brown said.

Mary Pat Nolan, director of admissions; Joanne Snow, math professor; and Dorothy Feigl, chemistry professor, were announced last week as the final three nominees.

The women were chosen based on how well they met the mission statement of the award, which recognizes women who encourage students to grow intellectually, spiritually and personally.

According to Jackie Zins, who was on this year's planning committee, the three women were chosen based on the number of nominations by students and how they best represent the mission statement of the award. SAC then selected Snow.

"I can tell you that I am extremely grateful to belong to a community where students take the time to write good nominations," she said. "I appreciate and cherish the different members of the community. I am also grateful that the students have invited me into their intellectual lives as well as their hearts and their entire lives."