Angela Road improvements underway

The Indiana Department of Transportation is in the process of making lane changes and signal improvements at the intersection of Angela Ave. and Indiana 933, also known as U.S. 31, and predicts that construction at the high-traffic area will be completed within the next two weeks.INDOT project supervisor Mike Mantei said that the work involves modifying the right-turn lane from westbound Angela onto northbound 31. Before the project began, the right turn lane merged onto 31 without stopping at the light and was the cause of numerous accidents."There will still be a separate right turn lane, just in a different form," Mantei said. "Instead of having free flow, now [drivers] will have to come to the corner and stop and look. We want them to pay more attention to where they're turning and look for oncoming traffic."While the right turn lane is presently closed, it will reopen when construction is completed and there will be four lanes of traffic on westbound Angela through the intersection - a dedicated left turn lane, two dedicated through lanes and one dedicated right turn lane.The other part of the project entails installing new signaling hardware and updated intersection control equipment."It's something that you can't see, but it should improve the flow through [the intersection] no matter which direction you are going," Mantei said.Work on the intersection began earlier this month.