Bake sales promote political activism

Observer Viewpoint | Friday, April 16, 2004

I am a class of 2001 alumnus, writing from Washington, D.C., where I have consciously avoided the political scene (happy hours and marches) for two years. During the past week, however, I have found the following headlines and e-mails too disturbing to ignore or delete.

For example, in the city’s metro there are ads saying, “He knew. Congress must censure the President,” with further information on how the country has been misinformed with distorted intelligence. In an e-mail I received from MoveOn.org, an organization dedicated to bringing ordinary people back into politics through online activism networking, I read the following:

“President Bush presents himself as a man of the people, but a look at his fundraising shows otherwise. Over $95 million of his money has come in the form of bundles of $2000 checks from high-rolling CEOs and lobbyists.”

As someone who has felt powerless and struggled to even vote through absentee ballots over the years, I am urging you to consider taking baby steps toward action. Initially I was convinced our main recourse would be saying novenas at the grotto. Fortunately, the grassroots organization I mentioned above has suggested a thoughtful and empowering alternative, a bake sale. A “Bake Sale for Democracy” to raise money for Move On’s campaign to “Take Back the White House.”

This weekend over 1,000 bake sales will be held across the country on April 17. Saddened by the fact that none of these were taking place in South Bend, a friend and I registered to hold our own – our original plan was to be in town for a reunion. If after reading information on www.moveon.org you feel motivated, or if you feel like this country is in need of a change, please consider bringing items to Field House Mall (Stonehenge) at 11 a.m. on Saturday, or simply supporting the sale between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. At the very least, I would urge you to make an effort to vote this fall. Personally, I have decided that prayer and thought are not enough: the time has come to take an active role in making a difference.

Heather Phillips

Class of 2001

April 15