Belles split two games with Calvin

Justin Stetz | Wednesday, April 7, 2004

The Belles’ winning streak finally came to an end Tuesday, but not before they were able to hand Calvin its first MIAA loss of the season. The Knights came into the game with a record of 4-0 in conference play and in second place behind Alma College. The Belles defeated Calvin 5-2 before falling 4-3 in the second game of the doubleheader.Last year, Saint Mary’s dropped both games to Calvin, losing 11-2 and 5-3. Splitting the pair lets the Belles improve to 11-13 overall with a 4-4 record in the conference. They are currently in fifth place and have one more loss than fourth place Albion. Calvin got on the board first scoring one run in the first inning. However, the Belles responded in the third when Audrey Gajor began the inning with a double to right center. Bridget Grall walked and Angie Ellison singled, loading the bases for Laura Heline who knocked in two runs on a fielder’s choice. Calvin scored another run in the fourth to tie the score at 2. But the Belles showed why they have been winning as of late by coming back with two more of their own runs in the bottom half of the inning. An Erin Sullivan double along with two more doubles by Gajor and Grall scored two runs and put the Belles ahead for good. They added one more run in the sixth when Sullivan came home on a Calvin throwing error. For the game, Kate Sajewich pitched well, going all seven innings and only giving up two runs. In game two of the doubleheader, the Knights jumped out first again with a run in the bottom of the first. After that, neither team was able to put any runs on the scoreboard until the top of the sixth. Saint Mary’s finally got its bats going when Ellison doubled to left and Laura Heline followed two batters later with another double. Ellison came home to give the Belles their first run in the nightcap. After holding Calvin scoreless in the bottom of the sixth, the Belles pounded out two more in the seventh to take their first lead of the game. Sullivan started off with a single and advanced to second on an error. With two outs, Grall came to the plate and delivered with an inside the park home run, making the score 3-1 in favor of the Belles. Things looked very promising for a Saint Mary’s doubleheader sweep until disaster struck in the bottom of the seventh. Calvin opened the inning with a double to right center. This was followed by a Saint Mary’s error, placing runners on the corners with no outs. A steal by the runner on first and then a sacrifice fly cut the score to 3-2. A pinch hitter was called in for the Knights who belted a two-run homer that ended the game with Saint Mary’s losing 4-3. The loss dropped Libby Wilhelmy to 4-7 on the season. The Belles’ next game comes on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. as they take on Hope College. Saint Mary’s has two more conference doubleheaders left and cannot afford any more losses if they wish to qualify for the fourth and last playoff spot.