Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Irish revamp their lineup

They have reached a bend in the road, but not the end of it.The Irish travel to Florida State (10-8, 3-3 ACC) for the final match of their regular season this weekend while also looking forward to the Big East tournament and possibly the NCAA tournament.The No. 35 Irish will play the No. 33 Seminoles in a match that can have a significant influence on momentum heading into the postseason.Notre Dame is 12-8 on the season, and the team is hungry for a win after a disappointing loss at No. 50 Virginia Tech. The weeklong break following that loss may help the Irish recover from several lackluster doubles performances. After revitalizing the lineup for some mid-season success, the Irish have been unable to capture the doubles point in several key match-ups.Still, seniors Luis Haddock and Matthew Scott are playing in their final regular season match, and the two seniors have one last chance to prove their experience and leadership before postseason play begins.Brent D'Amico, Steven Bass, Barry King and Ryan Keckley, who will return next season, look to finish a solid season on a positive note.The trip to Florida State, however, will be no cakewalk for the Irish. Although the Seminoles dropped their most recent match to Georgia Tech 5-2, they boast a strong doubles lineup and dangerous singles players.Chris Westerhof and Jeff Groslimond of the Seminoles garnered their 25th doubles match victory this season. They are ranked No. 41 and present a challenge to Irish coach Bobby Bayliss as he continues to modify his doubles lineups. In singles, Mat Cloer is ranked No. 19 nationally, and teammate Jonathas Sucupiera is the No. 51 ranked player. Cloer is the defending ACC Player of the Year.