Members open new session

The new members of the Saint Mary's Board of Governance convened for the first time Monday to review procedures and discuss a controversial comedian duo that performed on campus last week."We're going to go through things thoroughly to make sure we get the rhythm down," student body president Sarah Catherine White said.The group also discussed recent student reactions to "Alfred and Seymour," a comedy duo that performed during lunch March 29 in the dining hall. Several students have written about the Student Government Association sponsored event, raising concern that the pair portrayed stereotypes about blacks."Students around campus have been talking about these issues," White said. "Some took offense, some were concerned that we weren't sensitive enough and brought this act to campus. We are addressing this issue."SGA will be sponsoring an open forum tonight at 6 p.m. in Haggar Parlor to discuss the performance. White emphasized the need for board members to keep in touch with issues on campus by attending such forums."As leaders here on campus, we need to be informed and have an informed perspective," she said.In other BOG news:u Take Back the Night will be held April 15. The event is a tri-campus walk and rally to raise awareness for violence against women. It begins at Holy Cross at 5 p.m., stopping at Saint Mary's at 5:30 p.m., continuing on to Notre Dame and then returning back to Saint Mary's for a pep rally at 7:30 p.m.u Spring day on campus will be held the weekend of April 18. It will include tours led by SGA at 12:15 p.m., followed by lunch and an open house for new students at 2:30 p.m.* Donor Recognition Weekend will be held April 22 - 24 to honor those who endow Saint Mary's with scholarships and building funds. Donors will attend classes on Friday morning and will be honored at a special donor dinner on Saturday evening.