NDSP investigates indecent exposures

The Notre Dame Security/Police department is investigating five cases of indecent exposure that have occurred on campus since March 18.Four of the cases took place on the main campus and involved a student-aged male suspect and a female victim, NDSP director Rex Rakow said. No suspects have been named in the cases.On March 18 at 12:30 a.m., a white male, approximately age 20, wearing a white-hooded sweatshirt and yellow pants, exposed himself to a female student while she was walking from the Hesburgh Library between Knott Hall and Siegfried Hall. The suspect did not attempt to follow the victim, who contacted NDSP.On March 21 at 3:30 a.m., a female student said she was walking between Farley and Breen-Phillips when a male approached her and asked her several questions. She continued walking and the male exposed his genitals to her as she approached the areas between Washington Hall and Cavanaugh Hall. The suspect, described as a white male about 5-foot-8 wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans, ran away. The victim reported the incident to NDSP a day later after she saw a Crime Watch bulletin describing a similar offense.On March 24 at 12:29 a.m., a female student said she was walking between Knott Hall and Siegfried Hall and saw a male standing at the bottom of the walkway steps and said the male pulled down his pants and exposed his genitals. The suspect was described as a white male about 6 feet tall, wearing a grey sweatshirt with red lettering and athletic pants.On April 18 at 4:12 a.m., a female student said a male followed her as she walked from Notre Dame Stadium to her dorm. She said the male said to her "Hey look at this!" and exposed his genitals near the Hesburgh Library reflecting pool. The suspect was described as a white male with light colored hair.In an unrelated incident, four students reported that a male exposed himself to them as they were walking on Courtney Lane past the Eck Tennis Center April 17 at 4:05 a.m. The students were returning to campus from an off-campus apartment complex and said the man was naked, except for a grey baseball cap. The man did not say anything to the students and he is described as a white male between 30 and 40 years of age, about 6 feet tall with short dark hair. The students contacted NDSP by cell phone as they walked back to campus.In the four incidents where NDSP was contacted immediately after the incident, officers searched the area after the report but were not able to find any suspects. NDSP urges students to avoid walking alone and to avoid walking in isolated areas during nighttime hours. Students can request a security officer accompany them when walking at night or report information about these cases by calling NDSP at 631-5555.