Observer, staffers honored at ICPA

The Observer was named the third-best Indiana daily student newspaper at the annual Indiana College Press Association award banquet Saturday.

Numerous staff members captured a variety of individual honors as well.

Former editor in chief Andrew Soukup's stories on Father Daniel Groody and Darrell Campbell for the Irish Insider won Best News Feature Story and Best Sports Feature Story respectively. He also placed second in Best News Online reporting for his coverage of former Executive Vice President Father Timothy Scully's resignation and third in Best Sports News Story for his article on the expansion of the Big East.

Other first place entries went to Scott Brodfuehrer and Meghanne Downes [Best News Reporting Online for their story on Abram Elam's testimony in his sexual assault trial] and Brett Campbell and Dan Zychinski [Best Editorial Cartoon].

Former managing editor Kate Nagengast won second place for Best Investigative Story for her reporting on the University's budget, and The Observer's Editorial Board placed second in Best Staff Editorial for an editorial on changing the handling of disciplinary cases following Elam's trial. Third place individual honors were earned by Joe Trombello [Best News or Feature Series for his coverage on academic engagement] and Tim Kacmar [Best Sports Photo and Best Feature Photo].

The Observer finished third for Online Publication of the Year, Best Front Page and Best Special Issue.

Other Notre Dame media groups attending the ICPA convention included the Juggler, named best literary magazine; Scholastic, named the second-best news magazine; and the Dome, named the second-best yearbook.