Purdue matchup cancelled

Rain washed out the scheduled game between Notre Dame and Purdue Tuesday night at Frank Eck Stadium.

This marks the third time in the past four years that weather has caused the Irish to cancel their game with the Boilermakers.

In 2001, a meeting with the Boilermakers scheduled to take place at South Bend's Coveleski Stadium was rained out, while in 2002, the two teams could not play due to a conflict with a Purdue-Indiana game that had to be rescheduled due to weather.

No. 4 Notre Dame (30-5) will attempt to schedule another game as a makeup before the end of the regular season in order to fill out the 56-game schedule allowed by the NCAA.

Notre Dame next returns to the field today at 5 p.m. as the Irish are scheduled to host the University of Toledo (10-23) at Frank Eck Stadium.

Sollmann rehabbing well

Injured second basemen Steve Sollmann met with his doctor in Cincinnati last Friday and was told that his fractured jaw is healing very well following surgery.

"I met with the doctor last Friday," Sollmann said. "He said everything looks good, my bite looks good, and everything was healing quickly."

The senior tri-captain has missed 12 games since breaking his jaw April 3 chasing down a fly ball in shallow right field against Villanova.

While Sollmann has not been able to run or do any heavy lifting as of yet, he expects to get back into a training schedule soon.

"I can do a little biking and lifting really light," he said. "I haven't run yet, but pretty soon I should be able to run."

While he did lose some weight right after the injury, Sollmann says he has been able to prevent his weight from dropping too much through diet and some exercise. He says that he is currently only six or seven pounds below his playing weight before the incident.

Sollmann says that while he still doesn't have a timetable for a return to the Irish lineup, he doesn't have any doubts that he will be able to play again sometime this season.

"It's still up in the air right now. We're just going to sit here and see when my body says I can play," Sollmann said. "I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to come back at some point this year."