Saturday, May 4, 2024

Letters from the leaders

Members of the Notre Dame community,

For the last 17 years I have had the honor and privilege of serving as President of this wonderful University. On Friday at the trustees meeting, I announced that in June of 2005 I would step down as President and begin a period of sabbatical. This will eventually be followed by a recommitment of my time and energies to teaching, writing, pastoral ministry and service on various not-for-profit boards.What a wonderful opportunity I have enjoyed. I am very conscious that whatever has been achieved through the years has been a collective effort of students, faculty, staff, fellow administrators, trustees, alumni and benefactors. I am convinced that Notre Dame has only begun to realize its potential as the premier Catholic university in the world. This University named after Mary, the Mother of Jesus, has always flourished with her patronage and in fruitfulness to the call of her Son.I look forward to this coming academic year. I will do everything I can to begin the process of implementing our new strategic plan and to effect a smooth transition to the leadership of our President-elect and my fellow Holy Cross priest and friend, Father John Jenkins, C.S.C.I thank you for your encouragement and support through the years.

Monk MalloyPresident of the University of Notre Dame April 30, 2004