-

-

Seniors praise Mooney selection

Angela Saoud | Thursday, May 13, 2004

As the Saint Mary’s campus continues to grow and change with the addition of buildings, organizations and now, a new president, many graduating seniors feel the changes to the College are positive, and the future is looking bright.Senior Lauren Caprio believes departing College President Marilou Eldred changed Saint Mary’s for the better and will be missed. “[Eldred] has overseen the construction of Dalloway’s, a new dining hall, the future of a new student center and on-campus apartments, not to mention the renovations that took place in McCandless Hall as well as Regina Hall,” Caprio said. “She has kept open lines of communication with the student population through the use of the student trustee, student government and the use of student forums. I think that she has been supportive of student initiatives on campus like Student Diversity Board and the Reading Day. Overall, she has been a great asset to our community and she will be missed.”However, some seniors, such as Bethany Huba have mixed emotions about the changes taking place on campus. “I see the new buildings as a sign of growth to the College, which is definitely a good thing,” Huba said. “I’m disappointed that I won’t be able to use the new facilities, like the new Student Center, but I’m glad those options will be there for other students.”Although Huba admits she did not follow the new presidential search closely, Huba said many people at Saint Mary’s are excited about Carol Mooney being named the new president because of her status as an alum, and her familiarity with the South Bend area and both campuses. Caprio also feels Mooney will make a good president for Saint Mary’s.”I think Saint Mary’s has made an excellent decision in choosing Carol Mooney as the next president,” Caprio said. Mooney will lead the College in the next step to promoting a stronger educational standard, Caprio believes. She also hopes Mooney will continue to strengthen career-oriented pathways such as secondary education.Fellow classmate Nicole Garcia agrees with Huba and Caprio. “I have a good feeling about Carol Mooney coming to Saint Mary’s,” Garcia said. “I think she’ll bring a spark of life and will do everything in her power to make sure that it continues to grow academically, socially, financially and spiritually. I know that she’ll lead Saint Mary’s with confidence, assertiveness and will be an effective leader.”