Grant, Goolsby healthy for BYU

Joe Hettler | Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Ryan Grant and Mike Goolsby are just thankful they are finally healthy in time for Notre Dame’s first game of the season.”It’s been pretty frustrating. Anytime you got out there and watch the guys,” Grant said about his injured hamstring. “But at the same time, it’s the nature of the game. It’s nice that it happened at a time now, where I have a chance to heal.”Grant hurt the hamstring on a breakaway run during the early part of the second week of practice. But Grant said he’s ready for Saturday.”I’m probably like 95 percent now,” he said. “I think I’m one lift away from getting my 100 percent strength back. I’ve pushed it. I’ve ran. I’ve been doing the drills. I’m just ready to get back out there and put the pads back on. I’m just excited.”Grant also said he didn’t want to rush back and reinjure the hamstring and then miss even more time.”I’ve played football for a long time so I know that injuries are a part of the game,” he said. “It’s tough when there’s anything that stops you from playing the game, especially because we’ve been playing so well in camp and practice. I know that I’m not helping the team playing injured so I want to take care of myself before I get back on the field.”Goolsby is also healthy and ready to go for this weekend. He broke his collarbone during a Bookstore Basketball game in the spring of 2003 and missed the entire season. Goolsby is slated to start at one of the linebacker positions.”It feels good, it feels refreshing,” Goolsby said. “I’ve been waiting for this for a long time.”Goolsby didn’t think he had an exceptional spring camp, but said he feels better after fall practices.”Going into camp, I kind of told myself to let the whole injury thing go and kind of start over,” Goolsby said. “It’s been a much better [fall] camp compared to the spring. Personally, I feel a lot more comfortable with myself.”

Notes:u Goolsby should be a key component of Notre Dame’s defense this season. In 2002, he started all 13 games and recorded 75 tackles and four sacks. Goolsby was also named to the preseason Butkus Award List last year before his injury.u Many forget that Grant had an outstanding sophomore season behind a very solid offense line. Grant rushed for 1,085 yards and nine touchdowns before seeing his carries limited in 2003. Grant still managed 510 yards on 143 carries last season and had five scores.Travis Thomas and Marcus Wilson will back up Grant. Thomas was redshirted in 2003, while Wilson averaged 2.6 yards per carry in limited carries.