Group discusses history, new year

Members of the Saint Mary's Board of Governance held their first meeting of the year Monday. Student body president Sarah Catherine White welcomed Saint Mary's new president Carol Mooney and talked about the history and background of the College. "These pictures remind us that we will lead this history together," White said. "We must show respect, and keep in mind that others have led us to guide here, for they see our ambition. We are called to lead with our talents." White later discussed the first draft of the new BOG constitution. She asked board members to edit their contributions and be prepared to vote on the changes in the next few weeks. Treasurer Molly Welton said the excess money the board had expected would not be available since the enrollment decrease resulted in a budget cut. Susan McIlduff, chief of staff, also said freshmen elections would begin in the next few weeks. "Hopefully we can spread the word and get some really great freshmen involved with BOG," McIlduff said. In other BOG news:u The game "Singled Out," based on the MTV show will be played at Dalloway's Wednesday. The event is sponsored by the Student Activities Board. u BOG members also discussed plans for the Twilight Tailgate and Blessed Union of Souls concert to be held Sept. 9. u Sophomore class president, Claudia Toth, said fundraising sales of the "I Love SMC" shirts went well, and that the sophomore board is planning a Sophomore Sisters mentor program. "It is a great way to pair up a freshman with a sophomore, who they can ask questions to," Toth said. "We sent out an e-mail to both classes, and so far we have had a great response."u The Senior Class Kick-off will be held Wednesday at Opus Hall and will include food and music. The senior class has also planned Senior Dad's weekend for Nov. 5-7.