Students tasered, arrested at Rally

The South Bend Police Department used Tasers to subdue two students during arrests made Friday evening and Saturday morning at the annual Rally in the Alley party located in the Turtle Creek Apartments.Capt. John Williams, public information officer for the South Bend Police Department, said that according to police reports a Notre Dame student and a Holy Cross student were taken into custody in two separate incidents on counts of disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement. Williams declined to release the full text of the two police reports. Williams said Officer Jennifer Radican, an off-duty South Bend patrolwoman serving as Turtle Creek's security officer, and Capt. James Andrews approached the Notre Dame student about the volume level of the music coming from his apartment. The student became argumentative when he was called outside by police to the sidewalk to receive a citation and resisted Radican's attempts to handcuff him Williams said. Police said Radican reported that she used the Taser to subdue the student and arrested him at approximately 11:10 p.m. Friday. The second incident involved the arrest of the Holy Cross student around 4 a.m. Saturday. A group of three males, including the arrested Holy Cross student, vandalized the back door of an apartment located in Turtle Creek and fled when the police arrived Williams said. He added that the officer in pursuit was able to apprehend and identify only the arrested Holy Cross student, who was tasered after fleeing to a vacant property near Turtle Creek."Officers use the Taser whenever it is necessary, and only when it is necessary," said Williams. He explained that 99 percent of the uniformed South Bend police force carries a Taser, and added that officers undergo a four-hour training session. Williams said he was unaware of any other citations that were issued at the Turtle Creek Apartments or in relation to Rally in the Alley. Turtle Creek property manager Tammy Michelbrink said she received no complaints about the annual event from residents.