Away game ticket lotto avoids past years' pitfalls

The Student Union Board leadership avoided the controversies of recent years when organizing the ticket lottery for the Michigan State away game, which officials said went smoothly Tuesday. Those picking up a lottery ticket were to go to the club side of Legends from noon to 5 p.m., carrying a maximum of six I.D.s. Rows of chairs were set up to accommodate students waiting in line, and organizers were waiting at a long table to scan the I.D.s and distribute tickets and instruction sheets.SUB president Jimmy Flaherty called the process "flawless," and while he would not comment on the total number of students that showed up for tickets, he estimated that the line was, at its greatest, 30 strong. "There has been a good steady flow all day, and the crowd control measures we had set up kept things moving," he said. Flaherty reported no student complaints, and reaction from those leaving Legends with tickets in hand supported his claim."It wasn't bad at all. I kind of expected there to be a line," said junior Alex Fortunato, who picked up his lottery number at the tail end of the five-hour time slot. "[The lottery] was run much better today than it was last year at Reckers."Junior Mike Tully agreed."There were only a couple of people in front of me, and all I had to do was hand [the organizers] the I.D.s to swipe. It was a really easy process," he said. "I tried to go last year when the lottery was all screwed up, and this seemed like it went really well in comparison."The winning numbers were drawn after 5 p.m. Tuesday, and are printed in today's Observer and posted outside the SUB office. Flaherty said that the same system will be used for the Oct. 16 Navy game ticket lottery.