Belles fall to 0-3 with four-game loss to Albion

The Belles lost their third straight game of the season Monday night, dropping a four-game match to MIAA rival Albion. The loss drops Saint Mary's to 0-2 in conference play and 0-3 on the young season. The Belles were able to close the margin as they prevailed in the third game winning 30-28, but they ultimately fell in the fourth game by a score of 30-23. The Belles are currently in last place in the MIAA and much in need of a win. "I think we need to improve our overall communication," Belles defensive specialist Michelle Gary said. "And better utilize each player's strengths."Similar to the past couple of matches, Saint Mary's could not find their rhythm and dropped the first two games. They played tough in the second, but failed to close the set out, losing a heartbreaker, 31-29. The Belles were were outscored in kills and attacks in all four games. Aside from the loss, there were a number of players who executed on both sides of the court. "Michelle Turley did a very good job, but everyone had their ups and downs tonight," Gary said. "Elise Rupright played well in the middle, and Shelly Bender and Anne Cusack did a great job on defense." Turley's play was one of the highlights in the game as she kept her team relatively close. She collected a total of 17 kills in the four games along with an impressive 46 attacks. On defense, she added 22 digs. Once again, Rupright showed why she is one of the team's leaders, putting up some very good numbers. On the night, Bender also performed well with 27 attacks, and sophomore Ann Carpenter was second on the team in attacks, racking up a total of 35. Ann Cusack played well defensively with 16 digs. Following the contest, coach Julie Schroeder-Biek told her players they needed to play their game instead of playing down to the level of their opponents. This is crucial for the team's success as they go deeper into their schedule. Up next for the Belles is Kalamazoo on Wednesday, which will be their second home game and third conference matchup. The game begins at 6 p.m.