Milestone reached by SMC

Christening Saint Mary's as its first college affiliate, the American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants (AWSCPA) welcomed a new era of women accountants on Monday.

This link between students and professionals will be a step in the right direction for both the Saint Mary's department of business administration and for the society, College and AWSCPA officials said. The AWSCPA reworked its bylaws to incorporate the new student affiliate and also established a new standard in the organization. Under the new jurisdiction, students will have their own government and be able to interpret the mission and objective of the organization in whatever manner they choose.

"The incentive for Saint Mary's to partner with the AWSCPA is that we have the largest accounting program of any women's college in the country, which makes here an obvious place to start," Claude Renshaw, a professor in the department of business administration and economics, said.

AWSCPA, a professional non-profit organization comprised of women Certified Public Accountants, provides a supportive environment that promotes equity and opportunities for the achievement of career goals in a competitive and rapidly changing profession.

Jenifer Goforth, AWSCPA president, said she was excited to bring the organization to Saint Mary's.

"We have many student members, however, this is the first time the society has set up a student affiliate, and it is exciting to be around women with such energy and excitement about this profession," Goforth said.

The new student affiliate government will have the same officers as the current Lady Accountants of Tomorrow organization has. Co-presidents Molly Welton and Veronica Fritz, vice president Risa Zander, secretary Julie Taylor and treasurer Katie Harthen will guide the new affiliate government during its inaugural year.

"Today marks a milestone for Saint Mary's, not only for the accounting department, but also for the college," Welton said. "Not only are we the first all women's college affiliate with the AWSCPA, but we are also the first student affiliate altogether."

Despite the excitement, Saint Mary's now has the responsibility of setting the student affiliation standard bar high for future generations.

"There are many advantages to this partnership for both groups," Alexandra Miller, former AWSCPA president, said. "For students this is an opportune time to start thinking about your career and we are an organization that is big on networking."

In addition to the AWSCPA kickoff, current juniors and seniors in the major received awards according to their excellence in accounting. Welton received the McGladrey & Pullen Award for her excellence in intermediate accounting courses. Taylor received the Crowe Chizek award for her outstanding excellence in personal and corporate tax courses. Moira Cronin received the Bridget Anderson KPMG Award for her excellence in principles of accounting courses. Jennifer Farbauch received the Ernst and Young award for overall excellence in the field of accounting.

Professor Jamie O'Brien was also commended for his dedication to the accounting program.