Owners put Turtle Creek up for sale

Owners of Turtle Creek Apartments, the popular student off-campus housing area east of Notre Dame, have decided to sell the complex, property manager Tammy Michelbrink said Monday. According to Michelbrink, Turtle Creek's owners are asking $12.25 million for the property and have no specific reason for selling. The 192-unit housing complex is listed for sale by Los Angeles-based real estate firm CB Richard Ellis.Turtle Creek Apartments, which includes a swimming pool, sand volleyball cout, picnic areas, grills, clubhouse and a 24-hour laundry center, houses primarily Notre Dame students. The average size per unit is 865 square feet.Michelbrink said Turtle Creek would continue to operate normally throughout the sale."We have already begun the application and lease signing process for 2005-06," she said. "No matter who owns Turtle Creek it will always remain one of the number one choices for students wanting to live off-campus." Though multiple parties have expressed interest, Michelbrink said Notre Dame has not shown any desire to purchase Turtle Creek. To date, the sale of Turtle Creek has remained quiet. "I'm not sure that anyone knows about it yet," Michelbrink said. "If they do, there has been no reaction."Students living at the apartments said they were generally aware that Turtle Creek was up for sale. "I did hear TC was for sale, but I didn't know for how much or what the reasons behind it were," said senior Liz Hartmann, a resident of the complex. However, some changes have been made at Turtle Creek to prepare for the potential sale. "In preparation for possibly transforming our two-bedroom town homes into four-bedroom town homes, we did in fact combine some of our units," Michelbrink said. "We simply did some minor carpentry work in the living rooms downstairs and made a walkway to the town home next door."Senior Matt McConnell said he was directly affected by those changes. "They had two of us move into a vacant apartment next door and arranged the next rent payment so we are pretty much paying the same amount. We intended to live in one unit, and we did for about three weeks," he said. "They basically just put a door in between the two townhouses. They didn't say, but we kind of just figured it was because of the sale."