Saint Francis defeats Belles in 3

Saint Mary's dropped their second straight contest of the season Saturday as they lost in three sets to the University of Saint Francis Cougars. Once again, the team failed to play their game, falling by scores of 24-30, 14-30 and 28-30.Against Saint Francis, Saint Mary's allowed 45 kills and 108 attacks, which were similar to the numbers they gave up against Alma. Opponents' statistics have been indicative of the match results this season.The Belles are currently 0-2 on the season and 0-1 in the MIAA. The Cougars, who won the Mid-Central College Conference last year, improved their record to 3-3. The Belles had a similar slow start in 2003, losing twice in the Saint Mary's Triangular tournament and again to Albion College. Then, however, the Belles won four straight games. The Belles hope the same pattern will develop this season.Today, the Belles travel to Michigan to face conference foe Albion College. The Britons are currently 2-3 and 1-1 in the MIAA. On the season, Sarah Slamer and Elizabeth Moore lead the Britons in kills and total attacks.In 2003, Albion finished 10-22 overall and 3-11 in league play. Early last season, they beat Saint Mary's in five hard-fought matches. During that contest, Rupright recorded eight kills and a total of 28 attacks, while Bender added four kills to go along with her 24 attacks. This year, Saint Mary's will try to avenge last year's loss and gain some momentum going into the rest of the season.Today's game is very important for the Belles, as they hope to get their first win and move up in the conference standings. Last year, a slow start and conference struggles hampered Saint Mary's throughout the season.The Belles may adjust their attack to seek a better way of scoring and playing stronger defense. A strong conference finish is vital in securing a high seed in the MIAA tournament come November.The game begins at 7 p.m. at Albion.