SMC freshman runoff election set for today

Saint Mary's will hold part two of the freshman class presidential and vice presidential elections today after Tuesday's voting results led to a runoff between two tickets.

Rocky Krivda and running mate Lauren McAllister advanced to today's runoff election with 30 percent of the vote. Colleen Kielty and running mate Maggie Siefert also advanced with 24 percent of the total vote. Five other tickets competed, making this election the largest in recent years at Saint Mary's.

Elections commissioner Anna Bauer said 62 percent of the freshman class voted in Tuesday's election, and Bauer added that she and the candidates are hoping to raise the percentage who show up to the polls today.

Both tickets did last minute door-to-door campaigning Tuesday night hoping to promote their ideas on how to best serve the Class of 2008.

Presidential candidate Krivda said she believes her and McAllister's backgrounds in high school student government allows them to offer the freshman class new and exciting opportunities.

"We plan to promote S.T.I.C.K. (School spirit, Teamwork, Integrating spirituality, Community building and Keeping excellence)," Krivda said. "Our motto is, Stick with us, and we'll Stick with you!"

Krivda also emphasized their history of leadership in community service organizations and their approachable personalities.

Vice presidential nominee Siefert said she and Kielty are ready to take big strides in a new role.

"We were both captains of sports teams in high school, so we have the leadership skills this job takes," Siefert said. "We want to create a sense of unity for our class, and we feel we have some great coming together activities in mind that will do just that."

Siefert said she was awed by all the abilities of the other candidates.

"Everyone here is so talented," Siefert said. "It's a tough race because we're running against people with really great qualifications and qualities."

Voting started at midnight and continues until 11:59 p.m. Saint Mary's freshman can vote by logging onto PRISM and clicking the "Answer a Survey" section.