Transfers adjust to housing shortage

Ashley Sanders | Tuesday, September 7, 2004

For some Notre Dame transfer students, the usual adjustment to a new college has been more complicated than in past years due to the severe on-campus housing shortage at Notre Dame. To help alleviate the problem, the University and Saint Mary’s allowed some female transfer students to live at the College’s Regina Hall until rooms opened up in University residence halls. The fifth floor of Regina started as a community of 20 but has dwindled to 13 as students moved to available Notre Dame rooms.Transfer student Alyse Kinchen welcomed the option to live on the fifth floor of Regina Hall. “It was all going to be transfers so we were all in the same boat,” she said.Kinchen’s roommate Michelle Shiriaev, who attended Saint Mary’s her freshman year, said her floor is gradually adjusting to the unique situation. “We carpool and take the shuttle,” Shiriaev said. “The main problem is getting back and forth for meals. Sometimes we make two or three trips a day to Notre Dame.” The floor’s resident advisor, Ashley Oberst, said she believes the girls have made the best of their situation carpooling and going to mass together. “It feels like the girls have a strong Notre Dame identity because they spend all their time there,” Oberst said. Many of the transfers able to find housing on Notre Dame’s campus find themselves in a tight squeeze. The University has been utilizing all available space for student housing, including converting doubles into triples and making study rooms into living space. Sophomore James Rogers, a transfer from the University of Illinois, said he feels lucky to have on-campus housing in O’Neill Hall and has enjoyed his time at Notre Dame so far. “About 20 transfer students from last year ran [this year’s transfer] orientation,” he said. “They did an awesome job of making us feel welcome and part of the Notre Dame experience.”Overall, a large number of transfer students, both male and female, were forced to seek housing off campus due to the time constraints of the entire transfer process. Turtle Creek resident Sarah Boehm, a junior transfer, said she’s needed to make a greater effort to be involved with campus life. Boehm is comforted by the fact that she has a “Big Sister” dorm, which she doesn’t live in but attends hall events to stay involved with the campus community.”I would have rather lived in the dorms, and I find it harder to figure out what’s going on,” she said. Boehm said being affiliated with a Notre Dame dorm, even though she doesn’t live in it, has been helpful.