Wild Women outshine Finest by a touchdown

The defensive stalemate ended, and Walsh [1-0-2] made the season's first mark in the win column.Quarterback Mary Sullivan raced her way into the endzone for the only touchdown of the game with 35 seconds remaining. Walsh converted the extra point attempt and went on to win 7-0 over the Farley Finest [1-2-0].Despite being the hero, Sullivan was humble."It was a team effort," she said. "As a team we want to do well."Sullivan stepped in for injured quarterback and captain Carrie Campbell. Campbell sprained her ankle last week during an extra point attempt."Carrie was a huge loss," Sullivan said. "She is our leader."Farley quarterback Katie Popik went 8-for-20 passing and Sullivan completed seven passes out of 19 for Walsh. And despite three interceptions from each quarterback, neither team could convert those interceptions into points."[The] offense didn't get going," Farley captain Angelina Zahrbach said. "We still have high hopes though."Both teams need to improve their offenses.Walsh managed three first downs and Farley only two. No team had a stand out running back, putting more pressure on the quarterbacks to force throws.Regardless of the outcome, this was a huge game for both teams. Walsh needed to prove they could do better than a tie, and Farley was out to prove they are a true contender this season.At the end of the day Walsh was victorious, but that hasn't broken the spirit of the Finest. "We're going to come back at Cavanaugh next week," Zehrbach said. "But today [we] just didn't click."With a new surge of momentum, Walsh faces Breen Phillips in its next game. Campbell is questionable for that game, but Sullivan isn't worried. The goal in her mind is to simply win, because it is always a team effort.PW 19, PE 13It was a tale of two halves in this past Sunday's Pasquerilla Cup football game. The Weasels of Pasquerilla West used a second half comeback to erase a 13-point deficit and defeat the Pyros of Pasquerilla East, 19-13."We came out a lot more fired up in the second half and played much better defense," Weasels defensive tackle Sara Cermak said.A major question coming into the contest was which West quarterback - Anne-Marie Hart Brenna Mannion or Laura Joyce - would see the most playing time. The answer turned out to be none of the above.Junior Heather Van Hoegarden played the whole game under center for the Purple Weasels, completing 13-of-33 passes for 142 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for 42 yards and a score.Van Hoegarden's appearance was even more surprising given that she had no previous quarterback experience and did not appear at all in last week's game against Walsh."I missed the last game. I didn't play on Tuesday because I had a test," Van Hoegarden said. "I didn't think I'd play quarterback, since I played receiver last year."Despite Van Hoegarden's play, the Pyros dominated the first half, using misdirection and trick plays to befuddle the West defense. "They ran lots of options and reverses," Cermak said. "We got duped and fell for the reverse."After going into the locker room trailing 13-0, the Weasels regrouped and came out firing on all cylinders in the second half.The mobile Van Hoegarden left the pocket more often, drawing East's defensive backs away from Weasel receivers."I didn't run at all in the first half," she said, "But [in the second half], their linebackers and defensive backs had to come up because they thought I was going to run."The Weasels began their comeback on the first possession of the second half, driving down the field for a two-yard Van Hoegarden touchdown pass.After holding the Pyros to one yard in three plays, West forced a punt. The Weasels then used completions of 25 and twelve yards for a quick six points.West got the ball back with two minutes remaining in the game. Aided by two fourth-down pass interference penalties, Van Hoegarden punched the ball in on a two-yard run.A last ditch East effort to tie the score was ended by an interception.