Belles suffer heartbreaker

Sometimes the breaks just don't fall your way. Saint Mary's knows that feeling well after the Belles lost to Kalamazoo Wednesday night 1-0 on a penalty kick with 32 seconds left in the game."We played well as a team," senior midfielder Emily Wagoner said. "We had a problem capitalizing on our opportunities. It wasn't a lack of effort." The call that buried the Belles came when midfielder Carrie Orr caught Hornet forward Aliza Caplan from behind on a breakaway. The referee blew the whistle, and the freshman Caplan buried the kick in the back of the net to seal the game for Kalamazoo. The loss drops the Belles to 6-3-1 in conference play, putting them in a tie for third place with Kalamazoo.Saint Mary's had plenty of chances to score in the game outshooting the Hornets 23-11. But Kalamazoo goalkeeper Monisha Berkowski came up with 13 saves to keep the Belles in check."We were extremely disappointed with the loss," Wagoner said. "It's tough to play hard for a whole game and then lose like this."Last night's game was a continuation of the road woes the Belles have been facing all season. They are now 0-3-1 in games away from home. The next challenge for the Belles will be Saturday at home against Alma, who they tied 1-1 on September 18. Saint Mary's still has a lot to play for as they trail MIAA leader Calvin by only two games."We need to put this game behind us and focus on Alma," Wagoner said. "We're still in the running for the title."