Board promotes all diversity

As one of the five major boards of the Student Government Association, Saint Mary's Student Diversity Board (SDB) wants to promote the idea that the term diversity includes all types of diversity - not just racial.

Despite recent miscommunications and criticisms conveyed to SDB members about the purpose of their committee, SDB is attempting to promote themselves as a committee listening to student diversity needs.

SDB's mission is simple, said SDB president Ashley Doughty.

According to a posting on its Web site, the purpose of SDB is "to increase diversity among the Saint Mary's campus and allow others to recognize diversity around them and become aware of it and gain an interest in what is around them."

Doughty said the board's ambition is to follow the mission statement.

"We also want to develop student's awareness of the different types of diversity and encourage their involvement as we move forward to implement changes and create new ideas that will hopefully make Saint Mary's College the best it can possibly be for all students," Doughty said.

In addition to social activities, they also hold forums that address current world to give students a chance to speak their minds and form educated and informed opinions in a comfortable environment.

Doughty hopes all students will see SDB as much more than just a campus office focusing on one type of diversity.

SDB's goals for this year include increasing faculty and student involvement, to work diligently in the area of disability policies and to find ways to make Saint Mary's more accessible and offer more chances for students to share their diverse experiences.

Doughty thinks the future of SDB is looking bright.

"For the rest of the year, I'm hoping to breakdown stereotypes of SDB as strictly a board that focuses on cultural diversity to make Saint Mary's students feel welcome and accepted for who they are," she said.